
It has been a couple of weeks, but I am finally getting around to posting this!








Greg, my dad and I participated in Race For The Cure on Oct 4th. to celebrate 3 years since I beat down the big C. This year, we decided to leave the kids with my mom and head downtown. We left the house at 6am, picked up my dad, and went to a lightrail station. Since there were suppose to be 60,000 plus people participating in three separate races, parking would probably be difficult. The lightrail would drop us off right at Pepsi Center. Very convenient!
Well, everyone else had that very same idea! We were packed into the train and everytime the doors would open, more people would try to squeeze in. Then some door wouldn't close because someone was blocking it. It was a very long 30 minutes!
Well, everyone else had that very same idea! We were packed into the train and everytime the doors would open, more people would try to squeeze in. Then some door wouldn't close because someone was blocking it. It was a very long 30 minutes!

When we got there (and I rubbed on the hand sanitizer), we went to the area where many booths and vendors were set up. Because I was a survivor, I received a pink cosmetic bag, a scarf, pink hat, and other goodies. Makes it all worth it. Well, not really, but it is nice to be pampered like that once in awhile!

There were so many people there! The race started at 8 am, but we didn't cross the starting line until almost 20 minutes later. We weren't moving very fast, but it was fun to be in the sea of people. Along the way, musicians were set up in various spots, playing music for the participants. People were out on their lawns and porches cheering us on. And there were many moments where I read the signs on people's backs and teared up. One girl I saw was bald and her sign said she was 7 weeks past chemo. She also had a memorial sign, honoring her sister who died when she was 30 years old. Her mom was there too and was a survivor. So sad that families have to suffer through stuff like that, but makes me feel so blessed for my health.






The 3.1 miles seemed to go by quickly, although it took us 1 hour and 20 minutes to walk it (so many people and stopping to take pictures slowed us down). It was truly a memorable experience and we enjoyed it so much that we are going to participate next year with the kids too. Maybe I'll get Greg to wear a pink wig or something crazy like that. Or maybe not.
3 comments:
That's so great you were able to do that. I'm sure it was a wonderful experience.
I wondered how the "race" went. It had to be mentally exhausting because of how many families are affected by this disease. To think the last disease that was cured was polio in the 1940's and the doctor was ridiculed (pushed out of the profession and died poor)by his peers because the other researchers would not make money from "finding the cure." One has to hope that the persons who find the cure the big C will have the courage to bring it out to the public.
How did I miss this post?! I am so glad you went. I thought about you as I heard it on the news. Thanks for the recap. It really is amazing how many people are affected.
Post a Comment