Friday, July 31, 2009

Nauvoo

After the reunion, we made the 3 1/2 hour trip to Nauvoo and Carthage. The first day after we arrived, we drove to Carthage and visited the jail. We got to see the cells and you can actually touch the hole in the door where the bullet that killed Hyrum went through (above Madison's head in the pic). It was a very emotional visit and we were all moved when standing in the actual room where the prophet was killed.










We spent the next day at Nauvoo and it was awesome! We were so impressed with all that is out there for the family to see and do. We took a wagon tour around the town and visited all the historical homes and places of business that the church has so wonderfully restored. We rode an ox cart, which was really slow and bumpy. It gave me a greater appreciation for cars to travel in!











Don't you think I would have made a great resident of Nauvoo? I just have to say that running water from a faucet sure beats having to lug water from the Mississippi!

There was a place where the kids could dress up in pioneer clothing and participate in activities of the times. The kids really loved that part of the town. Greg and Alec had fun playing a game called graces, which entailed throwing and catching a hoop with a couple of sticks. However, when Greg looked it up on the internet, it said it was a woman's game and men weren't caught dead playing it. That was funny since they really enjoyed playing!









We got to see the Nauvoo Temple. It was so beautiful and so huge! I guess I was thinking it was like the Denver Temple, but as you can see from the picture, it is more on the Salt Lake scale.

We finished off our visit by watching the Nauvoo Pagaent. As always, the church puts on a great show and the acting was well done. That is the actual temple lit up in the background. This was a really memorable trip that we may do again some day!

3 comments:

Beth said...

It looks like you had a great time! I thought the temple looked small in pictures too. I had to see the right photo.

ganelle said...

What a grat trip! I think things like that are so worthwhile for the kids. I still remember going there when I was a little kid.

Garity said...

Wow, just reading your first paragraph gave me goosebumps. I remember standing in that same spot feeling the enormity of what happened in that room. Great pictures of everything as always! How many trips with the water do you think you'd do before you told Greg to dig you a dang well? I know I probably wouldn't last very long at all and would dig the well myself. There was a reason I wasn't born back then!