Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Carving Extravaganza

Sorry for the long break between posts! A week ago, I had what is probably the last of my surgeries related to the big C and have been mending. It has been two long years since the beginning, but I am thrilled to move on to other things. Thanks to all who have been there for me on that journey!
Saturday, the kids and I decided to carve the pumpkins seen in the previous post. They are already drying out, so maybe we should have waited, but the kids nagged and you mothers out there know how that can grate on the nerves, so I decided to give in and get it over with.

Maybe I am behind on the times, but I found the most excellent tool at Michael's Arts and Crafts. It is an electric pumpkin carver and I actually waited until it went on sale. Carving pumpkins with a knife bites, especially a thick one. So this little gem allowed the kids to do some of the actual carving.

Alec decided to look online and he and Madison picked their designs. They actually did most of the pumpkin gut scraping and a little of the carving, but I soon found myself sitting at the table alone, covered in pumpkin innards, finishing up. Here are the finished products, in all their Halloween glory.

The one on the right is suppose to be a horse. That one is Madison's. They are shriveling up though, so who know what it will look like on Friday. It will probably just look like someone took a shotgun to it!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I can see the horse oonce you told me it was there. Today is the annual day we usually carve pumpkins and I'm really sad I don't have one of those really cool tools! I'll probably be in inards for at least 4 pumpkins.

Unknown said...

That little electric knife looks really handy! We were carving pumpkins last night and marveling at how it is a wonder that none of us ever suffered serious stab wounds as a kid from trying to carve a pumpkin with a steak knife. LOL