A couple of years ago, I pulled an old box out of the crawl space, dusted it off and prepared to share its contents with my children. Inside were some of my old barbies and accessories that I had saved for my own children. At that time, Madison was not interested in barbies and the box ended up in a closet after several pieces of my barbie bedroom set were broken. Last year, it was time to bring the box out again. It has brought back memories of my barbie playing childhood. My barbies were cool and had greater aspirations than laying by the pool and working on their painted on tans or being something more than just Ken's arm candy. My barbies went to college and were supplied with home made text books. When they earned their degrees, I created graduation caps and gowns for their ceremony. They could be anything they wanted to be and it changed from day to day, depending on my imagination. I provided my barbies with everything they could possibly want or need. I had a blast!
So it has been fun to watch Madison begin to play with these dolls and watch her imagination grow. A couple of weeks ago, I found her creating little dollar bills to put in her barbie's purse. I guess with today's economy, Barbie needs a wad of cash when she goes to the gas pump to fill up her pink convertable or when she just has to buy those designer jeans at the Barbie Dream Store. While Barbie's needs have changed, the fun that Mattel allows little girls to have is still the same. Little girls can be anything they want or imagine. I hope my daughter finds this truth when she plays with these little dolls.

Ok. So who would you rather play with?

Super modern Barbie Island Princess or my old 70's Barbie who totally has come back into style. And look! She even has platform shoes and a burlap purse.

Here is my Marie Osmond doll. Too bad her microphone that fits into that hole in the palm of her hand is long gone, or else, she could make a musical comeback.
1 comment:
I should have pegged you for a Barbie player too. I loved my Barbies and have been disappointed that my girls (Meg and Kelly) have not loved them the way I did. I would take record covers and make big Barbie mansions. So much fun.
Post a Comment